“Some Kind of Wonderful” Response

I was thrilled to read this one because my paper this semester is on the subculture of music producers.

It is not just coincidence that when there is a center for something, anything, whatever that thing is will bloom. This was a fantastic example of music being centralized in NYC. The Brill Building was a one stop shop for creating music and getting it into the world.

The article broke down more than the essentials of how to the music industry operated, but I’m going to focus on one of the key aspects: creating. I remember it saying in the article (and I’m not sure if it was for the Brill Building or Motown) that artists could get together, write a song, grab some other musicians that were hanging around the building and put together a demo. In my opinion, that’s what made making music so special. Artists worked with what they had and, more often than not, created works that today couldn’t truly be imagined differently. This relates to my subculture analysis because one of my claims is that since the collaboration between artists has become distant and wireless, producers have become more picky and many times cannot finish a product they want because they can’t find “exactly” what they’re looking for.

Maybe that is why most music created today does not offer as much variety as music created in earlier years. Without a center, it’s more difficult to feed off other’s energy and everything becomes more artificial.

Thoughts anyone?

2 Responses to “Some Kind of Wonderful” Response

1. Allen Sharma says:

I agree, when artists just email each other their work whether its a verse or beat it takes away from the joint process that occurs in collaborations. Being in sync to the other artists is something that can be made in person while in a studio together and is often times lost with collaborations created online. Sometimes you can tell when the collaboration occurs online as one of the artists parts feels somewhat forced into the song. This sucks because the theme of the songs often change and sound different from the other half of the song.

2. Sade Smith says:

I have to agree that music today lacks the feeling of being ‘personal’ today. I think the transition into things being done remotely and individually, even when working together, has contributed to that in large part. It’d be good if artist today could merge the convenience of working online with in-person sessions as well.