Solidarity is for Miley Cyrus: The Racial Implications of her VMA Performance RESPONSE

I remember watching her performance a couple years ago and thinking to myself “wow this isn’t the same girl from Disney Channel” but to an extent I understand that it’s okay to to want to change your image from being a good girl to being a young rebel instead. Although, I can see how the performance can be interpreted as racist especially by Miley saying she wants her next album to have a “black sound” and then proceeding to portray that sound through ratchet culture which is highly stereotypical. But does that mean white women can’t twerk?

It’s no secret however, that Black women are hyper sexualized in American entertainment which is practically shown in majority of rap videos. Watching music videos was probably Miley’s only way to experience “black culture” which is why her interpretation of it in her performance was so stereotypical, she simply didn’t know better.

Nonetheless, this definitely got people talking about her. I can even remember how badly Twitter blew up after the performance with enormous amounts of memes based on Miley’s awful twerking. It was a great marketing strategy for her upcoming album and probably even got her new fans. At the end of the day the music industry is a business in which you can turn publicity into profit and that’s exactly what Miley has done.

http://battymamzelle.blogspot.com/2013/08/Solidarity-Is-For-Miley-Cyrus.html#.WCPw2zuNRFJ

2 Responses to Solidarity is for Miley Cyrus: The Racial Implications of her VMA Performance RESPONSE

1. Debbie says:

Although I agree with most of what you said, I still question your question of “but does that mean white women can’t twerk?” For me, and what I think the article talks about, isn’t that Miley can’t do it, but that she shouldn’t in this context; the context of “I want to sound/look more black” and twerking because of it.

You’re right though, it did get more people talking about her, listening to her music, and probably gaining fans from it. I’d just be a little weary about these new fans considering they might’ve only started listening to her because she basically started a fire in the bellies of the black community.

2. Kyle says:

Miley Cyrus twerking on stage was one of the most entertaining and uncomfortable performances I’ve watched since Lil Mama jumping onstage with Jay-Z and Alicia Keys during their VMA performance. She definitely had a poor choice of words to say the least when saying she wanted her next album to have a “black sound”. I’m hoping maybe she wanted a more soulful sounding album when referring to “black sound”.

Although my opinion of Miley Cyrus isn’t the best, I do feel it’s a little unfair to assume that watching music videos was Miley’s only way to experience “black culture”.