Moving Beyond Pain by Bell Hooks Response

I really enjoyed this blog post and it’s discussion of Lemonade as something more than an album about Jay-Z being unfaithful. All I ever heard about Lemonade when it was released was “Oo Jay-Z better watch out” “Bey’s going in on Jay-Z” and a lot of other comments of that nature, besides people saying Lemonade was a masterpiece of visuals and music. Why did people discuss Jay-Z more than they spoke about Beyonce’s musical discussion about the way black female bodies are portrayed by mainstream media.

Unfortunately, I never saw Lemonade (the link to the stream on Blackboard didn’t work for me) but Beyoncé’s Lemonade : She Dreams in Both Worlds was basically a musical and visual analysis of Lemonade so I managed to get some gist about it. Although I do hope to watch it at some point, but I digress. It sounded like much more to me than about Jay-Z being unfaithful, and the way Bell Hooks analyzes it makes sense to me. Especially the way she sums up the blog post and the title of the song: “In that world, the making and drinking of lemonade will be a fresh and zestful delight, a real life mixture of the bitter and the sweet, and not a measure of our capacity to endure pain, but rather a celebration of our moving beyond pain.” Basically she’s summing up the fact that Bey wants equality, but knows it’ll take a while before it’s achieved. Yet, the fact that we (I believe it pertains to me as WOC but she is mostly referring to black women) can deal with and grow even with inequality, we are stronger for it. At least that is what I understood from Hooks.

4 Responses to Moving Beyond Pain by Bell Hooks Response

1. Like you, I read the article as well as watching the video. I think the reason others Jay-Z being unfaithful because they’re stories of Jay-Z having affairs, not as “Becky”. Overall, the video is showing mostly Black Feminism. Also, Beyonce was being a genius by showing her emotional side through that song. Lastly, Lemonade really represents her world. As a fan, I wish I have a song that represents my everyday struggle.

2. Allen Sharma says:

I think the affair thing did stir up a lot of drama and it almost seemed like a made up marketing scheme at one point. But whats funny is that all I ever heard for almost a week straight after the release of Lemonade was the line “When he fuck me good, I take his ass to Red Lobster” but that was just twitter being comical I guess.
    After watching the full video in class though I was amazed. I was ver surprised to seeing how conceptual it actually was, I just assumed she just stuffed a bunch of music videos together but it was clearly put in order of how she wanted to tell her story. It really reminded me of how garbage the pop music that we hear on the radio is.

• Debbie says:

So he did actually have an affair? I always thought it was just speculation!

I’m really glad you were amazed by Lemonade, it was my first time watching it too and I was taken aback by it. Made me tear a few times and I never really thought it would be as great as it was because I too believe pop is garbage these days (I’ve been slowly trying to change that mindset because of this class though). I talked about it for days after watching it! it’s a great piece of work.

3. Luisa says:

“In that world, the making and drinking of lemonade will be a fresh and zestful delight, a real life mixture of the bitter and the sweet, and not a measure of our capacity to endure pain, but rather a celebration of our moving beyond pain.”

The last part of the sentence really speaks to me. A celebration of our moving beyond pain. I totally think this is something you can take from Lemonade. I mean it’s so complex that there are so many things one can talk about. I’m pretty sure someone can teach a whole class on this!

But yeah, as you hear and watch the visual album, you see/hear all of the different stages of grief before you get to the final step of healing.

The first time I ever watched Lemonade, I felt exhausted afterwards. I felt like I had gone on a rollercoaster of emotions. But I also felt good. I felt that sense of moving beyond the pain. I don’t know, I felt like I had come back to life as a stronger and better person, haha.