Girls and Subculture by Angela McRobbie and Jenny Garber

There was a lot about this reading that rubbed me the wrong way but I think the thing that bothered me the most was when they talked about the “Motor Bike Girl”.

They describe a motor-bike girl to have “matte pan-stick lips, an insolent expression in her eyelined eyes and an unzipped jacket, the model looked sexual, numbed and unfeeling, almost expressionless.”  They said how this image suggested sexual deviance.  They said that this description was more of a fantasy than a reality because women wouldn’t be riding a bike.  Instead, they said that the only way a women could join a bike gang, was if she was dating one of the members.  They said how the women got treated primarily like sex objects.

That just really pissed me off because women are so much more than just a sex object.  It’s dehumanizing.  What’s sad is that there are still so many people who view women as nothing more than sex objects.  It’s really frustrating as a women to try to get people to understand the problem with this.